Sunday, January 06, 2008

Good Feeling

There's nothing better than receiving a heartfelt "Thanks" from the SOUNDMAN after a gig.

Those poor folks have to listen to every single band that drags their gear onto the stage... for better or for worse. So when a worn and torn up soundman wants to give us an earnest thanks and a big hug for bringing something beautiful to their club, it really means a lot to me.

That's what happened last night after Evangina closed the bill at Mr T's Bowl. Arlo and I had ourselves a real "moment" after the show. I really love that guy, and I love playing that venue. I can always just plug in and trust him to take care of the sound. I've yet to get very involved with monitor levels and such, as I'm always just eager to start playing, so it always sounds weird to me onstage (too much ME most of the time) however, when it was all over we had nothing but rave reviews from the crowd about how great it sounded.

It was a really fun and tender set, with Ramones and Misfits covers - Evangina Style! -- and Sarah Peters (from the Road to Oprah tour) guesting on bass and violin. We played some new versions of old songs, and some old songs that had never been played live before (like McCann). What's more, I played the electric guitar that Albert gave me as a present, and Lisa Dee played the bass (awesomely!) for the first time ever.

The audience stayed up late (we played at midnight) and was super-lovely. We brought the "instrument box" and had folks sitting down in front playing along.... just like old times. The whole scene warmed my heart and got me real excited about 2008.

It was a perfect show to kick off the New Year. And there's more on the horizon... we may be playing the Hyperion Tavern on Thursday, the Barn Burner on Friday, and we're even playing a birthday party for a friend. Creative juices are flowing, we're growing, and all is well on the Evangina front.

Everlovin'
Juli

No comments: